Deadline: 22/12/2007, 11:59pm AEDT (12:59pm GMT)
The rules are somewhat different from previous xmas compos! Take note!
The Ground Rules
- The size of your demo archive (.ZIP, .LHA, whatever) should not exceed 5mb (5242880 bytes)
- Your entry must display something on the screen.
- Your production must not contain copyrighted material that you do not have permission to use and redistribute.
- You must give us (disasterarea) the right to distribute your entry free of charge on the internet and/or CD/DVD. If we decide to upload your entry to scene.org (or anywhere else) you give us the right to do so.
- Your entry must not have been previously released.
- Your entry must not rely on having a network connection present.
- Your entry must not modify any system settings (including registry, etc)
- Your entry must not leave temporary files on the system after it has finished executing.
- Your entry must not do anything malicious to the system whatsoever.
- We reserve the right to disqualify entries for any reason, but we will provide our reasons to you so that you can change your entry if you want to. See the suggestions section for some more clarification.
- You must do your best to ensure that your entry is virus free.
Although it would be nice to be able to accept entries running on any platform, we have to place some restrictions.
- Entries that run from an EXE or COM file under Windows on PC.
- Entries for any platform that has a Windows emulator that will run your entry. (VIC-20, C64, ZX spectrum, Amiga, Atari, etc, etc)
- If your entry doesn't fit into the above categories (ie. Mac, Linux, etc) please contact us as we may be able to sort something out - we're only accepting what we can watch on our equipment but if we can find someone with the gear, we'll accept your entry.
In previous xmas competitions, we had a requirement of "some xmas related content" ... now, you can do whatever you want without restriction!
HOWEVER, we're introducing the concept of "Optional Elements" which you can choose to incorporate somehow into your demo if you want to - it's up to you.
Why would you include them then? Because it'll boost your votes! For every "Optional Element" you include, you will get a 20% boost to your normal vote points, meaning you can double your effective votes if you include all 5 elements.
So without further ado, here are the optional elements:
- A Christmas tree
- Santa Claus AND some elves
- An oddly shaped 3d xmas present (not a cube)
- A doom metal version of Jingle Bells
- Time and space unravelling before the viewers eyes and being somehow absorbed into Rudolph the red nosed reindeer's nostrils.
- If you're making an entry for an obscure or emulated platform, it would be nice if you could tell us your preferred emulator, and the emulator settings if necessary.
- Try to ensure your production's system requirements aren't "too high". People with all sorts of CPUs, graphics cards, etc, are going to try to watch your entry, and if it performs terribly, they aren't going to vote for you.
- Beware offensive content: We will disqualify an entry if it's too offensive. Offensive language is probably fine. Pornographic material should be avoided. Eel girl would get banned. Use your brain. If we could get arrested for distributing your stuff, we won't. mail us if you have any questions about this.